Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

MTC Letter #3

Hey Everyone!

Time is flying by here at the MTC. I love it and I am getting over my cold! :) We are teaching 2 progressive investigators regularly now (my teachers) and at the TRC every Monday. I love it and I am learning so much.
Mom in response to your last letter I have been talking in my sleep, according to my companion. The first time was last Tuesday. MY companion was studying and practicing bearing her testimony in Italian when I started talking from the top bunk. I said "I love you. I would die without you. I would die for you. I like you more than the Anziani." all in Italian. And then I started to bear my testimony in Italian before I stopped short and fell back asleep. I didn't even know I knew how to say all those things in Italian. The second time I spoke in English. In the middle of the night Sister Bradford woke up to me saying," We can help you with that. We're sister missionaries. No we can definitely help with that" She kicked my bunk and ended whatever I was trying to help someone with :)

Our older districts left for Italy this Tuesday. It was a bitter-sweet moment. I love them all so  much but they were ready to go. Two of the Anziani are already stationed in Palermo :) I am excited to maybe see the Rome bound missionaries when I arrive in Rome. And I will see all the Milan missionaries at reunions and such. All of us Italian missionaries that are stil have 5 weeks sang to them "come, come ye saints" before they got on the bus shuttle to the airport. I am excited for when I get to leave but I am very glad I don't have to leave yet because I am not ready :)

This past Sunday my companion and I watched another talk by Elder Bednar titled "Recognizing the Spirit" given here at the MTC. It was amazing as well. He talked about how members of the church worry about whether they are feeling the Spirit prompting them or if it is themselves. In his words, "Quit worrying about it!! Quit fussing". He went on to relate 3 experiences one when he was a 20 year old missionary, 40 year old stake president, and last as a 56 year old apostle. All three times he only realized looking back that he had been prompted by the Spirit. In the first experience, He as a young AP gave Elder Boyd K. Packer a 20 Marx note in case Elder Packer and his wife were hungry on the train.

The second experience meant the most to me. He left a priesthood training meeting to go with an Elder’s quorum president in his stake to see both their sons play in a basketball championship. He had felt horrible and as if he had rationalized just to see a basketball game. He later found out, after the Elder Quorum President's son died suddenly 6 months later that it had been a prompting. At the end of his talk he gave the missionaries an apostolic blessing. He said (I paraphrase) "If you be a good boy/girl, remember and honor your covenants, and keep the commandments, as you press forward your steps will be guided, your utterances will be inspired, and you cannot go amiss." This promise meant so much to me. I personally have often worried about whether I am feeling a spiritual prompting or not. This message helped me and eased my mind so I wanted to share it with you.

Elder Neil L Andersen came and talked with us this Tuesday and He shared with us 10 things the prophet, President Thomas s. Monson, has advised us to do. I just want to share 3. One he said was, "Let the Lord shape your back", meaning the Lord will shape our backs to bear the burdens placed upon on them. Second, he said, " Never ignore a prompting". And lastly he said, "witness the power of the Savior". I loved this talk. At the end Elder Andersen bore his testimony as a witness of the Savior. It was then that I realized that is what I am too. I am a WITNESS of my savior, and like the Apostles it is my calling to share His message with the world. That is why I do not need to fear ever, but to speak boldly and surely because He will not leave me and will support me. One of the Sisters in my zone shared D&C 31 with us. It is a beautiful section when I read it and I realize that it is talking to me, and the blessing are promised to me. I sometimes feel worried about arriving in Italy but the Lord has promised to bless me with peace! So I don't need to worry :)

I love you all! I wish I could express it better but I only have 30 minutes. The above mentioned events are the ones that stood out this week and I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors :) I love you all and I will write you next week.

PS
Side note I forgot to mention. My group of 28 missionaries is the largest they have seen in 5-6 years :) I knew we were big but I did not realize it had been that long since a group as big as us came in. In 3 weeks another group of 17 Italian missionaries will be coming in. I am very excited and I hope to help them as much as the older districts did for me. I have my work  cut out for me but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment