Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Letter #6 and Pictures from Catania, Italy TRANSFER NEWS!!

Hello everyone,
 
So this week has been crazy we got Transfer calls last saturday and I am being transferred!!!
The end result is MESSINA (yes the land of "Twelfth Night" my favorite Shakespearean comedy). I will be opening the city for sisters AND I will be training!!!!! AHHHHH!
 
The story:
 
 
I received the call as we were driving home from eating pizza baked in a members garage. (THEY have a brick oven in their garage!) Mt Etna was erupting in the background (We got a few photos) and then the phone rang. Originally I was going to Cosenza, Calabria to open for sisters and train. I was super excited. And also shell-shocked.
The brick oven in this garage
Us at dinner with members: Slla Ansted, Alessandra, Anna and Sebastiano (the son and daughter in law of the members.) Then the Fllo Virgilito, Slla San Fillipo (the bishop's wife,) Slla Virgilito, Vincenzo (the bishop's son,) and Luna (the bishop's daugher).
Mt Etna. That red is lava :)
On Monday I went to go buy my train ticket. They were sending me to Rome where I would pick up my greenie and then we would take the train down to Cosenza! (A VERY LONG TRIP) so I bought my train ticket to Rome. And then an hour later we got a call from the Assistants!!

I was no longer going to Cosenza but to Messina, and I should expect a call from President to explain (ominous) and that I should try to return my train ticket. I was able to return my ticket but I felt unsure about everything!! :)

But I still knew that President recieves revelation and that I will go whereever God needed me. I also knew that it makes more sense that I go to Messina (only 1 hour away from Catania by Bus).

Tuesday Morning Sorella Kelly called me and I learned about the MIRACLE that God did.

Originally, President had felt that I should go to Messina, but the house was not ready for Sorelle (the power was not on yet.) So he changed it to Cosenza, where it was 'guaranteed' that the house would be ready. But then with a twist of events, the house at Cosenza did NOT get its power on, while the house at Messina WAS able to get power. So in the end, I get to go where I was supposed to go the whole time! God inspired the electricians or something. He arranged it so I could be there!

So cool!!

All of the sisters in Sicily are training. And Sorella Ansted ( my old comp) is training 2 sisters at the same time! (Twins!)

It is very exciting and also overwhelming. I know that this is going to give me an opportunity to see God work and see His hand. I know that none of it will be me. All I have to do is not get in the way (With my selfishness and natural instincts) of His glory and Divine Will.

I will be serving with Anz Stewart and Anz Hurlburt (AGAIN :))

And I will learn my greenies name when she gets of the train tomorrow night.

Mom and Dad I am sorry that I never wished you Happy Birthday!! I remembered but I never emailed it. I have an amazing package I am planning to finish today (combined Birthday, Mothers day, and Fathers day, and James Birthday :)). I love you all so much!

I will email you my new address next Wednesday. I also sent packages last week or so. If you could let me know when they arrive (so I know they did) that would be great. I know that David's did! Richard, and someone else (I dont remember) I also sent a package to :)

There have been so many miracles here it is amazing! We had an investigator promise to come to church (It has been her one stopping point for being baptized) and a less active sister promised to come! And we were able to see many investigators that we have not been able to see for weeks! So amazing :)

I love you,
 
Love Sorella Preston 

No comments:

Post a Comment