Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pictures from P-day in Matera, Italy

Matera!!! Finally here they are!!!! We turned the corner and THIS is what we saw!

 Matera
 Me and Matera
Sorella Comollo looking awesome
 Me and Matera. I love this city!!
 More Matera!
Sorella Comollo sitting in some ruins. We decided to hike to the cathedral at the top before it closed
 
 View from Cathedral! But the cathedral was closed for work
 I don't know why I am serious but I love the background of this photo
 
 This is the window where all these photos were taken

Me on stairs and archway by the cathedral
 
 Me on the stairs leading up to the Cathedral
 
 Matera and the countryside. This is the old bridge we saw. And there is a river below. All those holes are caves in the Mountain. Turkish monks dug them out and would worship in them. They are painted everywhere with the Madonna and other saints! We were unable to go and see them though.
 These are frescos that were just painted in the walls of a church. They were forgotten and fading away in the darker aisles! I just had to take a picture.
Us driving home from Matera. This is Puglia!

No comments:

Post a Comment