Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Letter #16 from Bari, Italy



Dear Family!!, I am so excited to write you. We received our transfer calls on Saturday. I have been asked by President Kelly to .... 

Remain here in Bari with SORELLA FULLER!!!! 

It will be my 4th transfer in my birth city. That is a lot so I am very grateful. And I am so happy that I get to be with Sorella Fuller. I get to learn so much more from her :) Sorella Wagoner is also staying and Sorella Rosato is going to Roma 2. Sorella Christiansen will be coming down from Rome. She came (to Italy) with me but she only stayed in the MTC for 3 weeks because she already spoke Italian. She minored in it at BYU and lived in Napoli for 3 years.

This next week will be a crazy week of spiritual growth. We have stake conference this week !! And the mission president is coming down and speaking. They will be holding it at the hotel Sheraton because there will be so many people. Then Thursday we are having a mission tour. Elder Kent Richards of the Area Seventy in Europe will be speaking to us missionaries. We will have it instead of zone conference. He will be here 3 days and go to 3 different cities. Ours is Thursday and it will be the Bari and Taranto zone. I am so excited to come and learn like crazy.

Last Sunday was amazing!! I love fasting because it has so much power. Fasting has the ability to call down the powers and blessings of heaven!!! It is so amazing. Fllo Gallone and Slla Gallone, two of our less actives came to church and he bore his testimony. Giovanni bore his testimony, and Giuliano and Loredana (new converts). Then Slla Sebastiani bore her testimony after our experience on Monday that I wrote about :) ! It was amazing.

Our ward is starting a 40 day fast!!! A different person signs up each day and fasts on that day. And you go 40 days and we end on Easter. We already have about 20 signed up :) I am so excited to see the miracles that will come :)

Yesterday I discovered the hardest part of the mission. It is seeing your friends and the people you love trip and fall after having a testimony. And then you must wait and hope they remember and apply the Atonement in their lives. It is hard because you really cannot do anything. Everyone falls and we need to repent everyday. I know this, but it is hard to see someone struggling. It is good because I have to trust in God! And as my companion said, "We are not here to save the healthy. The healthy have no need of a physician!"

Thank you for all you do! And all your prayers. I will send photos next week!!!!!!!1

Sorella Preston

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sorella Preston,

    I stumbled across your blog in doing some research and I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I was in the Italy Catania mission from 83-85 and I served in Bari for 6 months (the best 6 months of my mission). I am trying to determine the status of some of the members who joined the church when I was there. In particular I am looking for Mino or Vito Santoro. I'm also looking for Sorella Valenti. She was the mother of Leonardo Letinni whose family was killed in a train accident after I left. Could you do me a big favor and let me know if you are aware of the status of any of these brothers/sisters? I'm hoping that Sorella Valenti wasn't the one that was passing out cookies in RS (although it wouldn't surprise me)...

    If they are still around I would love to get their email addresses and correspond with them. My email address is rflarson@yahoo.com. If you would be so kind to pass it on and/or collect their email addresses I would be so grateful!

    BTW, is the church still at Via Cancello Rotto? I know they are a stake now but it was only a branch when I was there. I'm wondering if they kept the same building with the tennis courts outside and the baptismal font in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! In response to your questions Via Cancello Rotto is still there but there are now 2 wards in Bari. I am in the other ward . We have a building over by Ipercoop along Viale Louis Pasteur. They constructed it about 10 years ago. Sorella Valenti was not the one passing out cookies :) But she is the cutest little old women. She is still very strong in the church.

      MIno and Vito Santoro are also both active. Both are married. I have met Vito and I am pretty sure I met MIno I only know him as Fllo santoro so I dont know for sure :) I have heard about the train wreck but all is well . The people have recovered and are still hopeful and happy. All three of them live in the other ward so I do not know them very well. If you know the Mongelli family they are doing very well. Emmanuele Mongelli's son, Ruben, is leaving for his mission in London on Feb 28th.

      I will try to get some email addresses for you. I am sure they would love to have contact with you again :) Also what is your last name so that they will remember it. Is it Larson? I love Bari and I am glad to hear you loved it too!!

      Sorella Preston

      Delete