Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Letter #19 and Pictures from Bari, Italy

Hello Family!!
I have some news at the beginning. So we will have a new mission president. He will be arriving on June 30th and his name is President Waddoups. I am excited to meet him. It is so wonderful that we know that our leaders have priesthood authority and the Prophet, his counselors, and the 12 Apostles receive revelation from God. Because of this knowledge I do not need to worry about this change in Presidents because I know that God called President Waddoups to come to Italy and be our Mission President. What a wonderful surety!!
 
Our 40 day fast has started and it is coming along beautifully. We announced it again this Sunday in Relief Society because we had many empty spaces. After RS the members raced to the bulletin board and started signing up. THEY WERE FIGHTING to sign up!!. It was so cool! We have been getting referrals from the members recently, too. It is soooo cool!
 
 
Now as to the title of this email. (I love Italian Food!) I have been thinking alot about how blessed I am to be serving in Italy and all of the amazing food I am blessed to eat everyday!! There is pasta, pizza, and panzarotti. But Italy also has wonderful produce and lots of it I have never seen before! They have blood oranges here!!! They are normal oranges but on the inside it looks like the orange is "bleeding" because it is a dark red. THEY TASTE SOOOO GOOD! I had my first one last Friday!!! MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. They also have different vegetables such as Rape (broccoli leaves), Bietolle (Beet leaves), cavolo (a green cauliflower head) and Fennel. ALL so delicious. Not to mention that all the produce just tastes better here!! I have no idea what I am going to do when I go home! Also I love all the olives here. Mom you said to beware but I ate them anyway and they are so good and bitter! I love Italy. They have foccacia and they have super awesome supermarkets. They have juice here that is made with real fruit! Like the mango stuff you can buy. Their chocolate all tastes better here. EVEN THE CHEAP 50 cent chocolate bars! I Love food! I am so excited to cook for you all.
 
 
We have one potential investigator that I am so excited for. Her name is Teresa and she is 18. We met her doing house to house (tracting). She was at her boyfriend's house. She was that girl I told you about who came to English course and took a Book of Mormon because she was curious!! She came again last night and she is reading the Book of Mormon!!!! She is at 1 Nefi 5 and she loves it. She said, "It is so interesting to read!" (Interesting in a good way). We finally got her phone number and her actual address because we found her at her boyfriend's house. And she said we could come and visit her!!!!!!! Also her boyfriend has some potential. We will see! We have another English course student who we want to start teaching. He said he had a little interest but he did not want to meet with us out of class. Then last night we talked. He said how much he loves our spiritual thoughts. Sorella Fuller said that the spiritual thoughts are just a taste of the banquet and he could meet with us and learn more in depth. He was very intrigued!
 
 
I want to send a ton of pictures so I am going to end now! I love you all.
Sorella Preston
 
 This is my district!!
 Fabio and Ross on Valentine's day when they gave us roses. Ross is short for Rosella.
This is for Charissa Black. This is on the wall of Sorella Marianni Virgilio the 99 year old lady in our ward. She is so sweet. She makes picture frames for all her pictures and I saw this on her wall and I freaked out!! I am following Sorella Black's footsteps :)
 
 This is Sorella Virgilio and her wall!!! She made them all herself!
Bari last preparation day Feb 20. This is the outlook from the parapets above San Nicola. Looking out on Lungomare
 Isabella Magno. She is super sweet. She has a sad love life but she is still active in the Church. I think she has 3 children and the youngest is 18 and finishing high school at Pescara. This is her Husband they have been married for almost 1 year. He was a widow and she was divorced and they met through friends! He is the bishop at Messina and has some children as well. They are a super cute couple!
At Sorella Panza's house on her birthday (Feb 21) It was also Anziano Hurlburts birthday !!
English Course Planned him a surprise birthday party! It was so much fun!
  
Letty and Ann - I hope you recognize this!!! Bride and Prejudice baby!! This is a sign on a kebbaberia here in Bari. I saw it and I had to take a photo

Cleaning out our hairy malfunctioning pipes. We found this hall ball the size of a rat!
 
Picture of hair ball and Sorella Christianson!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment