Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Monday, November 18, 2013

Letter #12 and Pictures from Bari, Italy

Dear Family and Friends,

VI VOGLIO BENE!!!

I hope last week was wonderful for you all because it was amazing for us :) Today we are celebrating Thanksgiving with the Foggia Sorelle! It is going to be great. We have mashed potatoes, apple pie, chicken, vegetables, home-made bread. It is going to be so wonderful!!  Next week expect pictures!

Thanksgiving, Sorella Mikesell, Sorella Mitsvotai, Sorella Rossell
We have been listening to tons of Christmas music.  Sorella Mikesell has a Barbara Streisand Christmas CD. It is so funny! I love it :) Mom and Dad, I got your package. I love the CD it is great. It has been so long since I have heard musicals so as soon as "The Impossible Dream" came on I freaked out :)

This week has been miraculously. I felt like exclaiming like Ammon and praising God.

"And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus: My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?

"Blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to his praise, yea, let us give thanks to his holy name, for he doth work righteousness forever.

"I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

 "12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

(Alma 26: 1,8, 11-12)

So many miracles have happened:

Last week I wrote you and I told you about all the miracles that Marina experienced. This week it just continued. We met with her last Tuesday. Not only does she keep her impegni, but she teaches us. We don’t teach her. We asked her to read 1 Nefi 3. She read it and came prepared. We asked her what she thought. Her answer was that "Each of us has a mission in this life, but God will help us. And He will send angels to protect us. Nothing is impossible with God."

Sorella Mikesell and I just sat flabbergasted! Eventually I responded and said "Exactly." She then explained how, when you read the scriptures, you must apply them or nothing will come of reading them. 

We asked her how she feels about the Book of Mormon. She feels that it is true. "Otherwise you would not be here in Italy telling me about it!" She wants to know more about Joseph smith and we asked her to pray about him and to read 1 nefi 1. 

Whenever I see Marina she glows now. She came to church again this Sunday and she loved it. After gospel principles she pulled me aside and said that she prayed and she wants to tell us her answer but there were too many people. So after sacrament meeting we went to one of the primary classrooms to talk. She said that she prayed and felt peace. She still will not accept a baptismal date but she knows that this is the right path for her.

She then took us outside and introduced us to her husband. He was super nice and clearly he knows she is meeting with us. We were worried about how he would react but he seems super chill. We want to teach them together! 

The miracles just kept coming this week. Another one of our investigators, Cecilia has a baptismal date and she came for 2 Sundays now, to all 3 hours of church. 

When I first saw her per strada I thought she was crazy. She was walking in a group with us with dread locks and bright yellow pants. But then something told me to go and talk with her and I really did not want to. But it would not go away, so as we were passing I smiled and said hello.  She immediately stopped us and explained that she has friends who are members of the church, a few of our African members. She wanted to talk with us, but did not know how to contact us. 

As we started teaching her, she started to introduce us to all of her friends and the Restoration just clicked. She told us this week that she had been looking for the way God wanted her to take. She prayed about Joseph smith and she felt this warmth and light! She wants to get baptized. She is so funny. And she has been one of the biggest surprises of my mission.

Another miracle was Marjana .The Poggiofranco Sorelle, before they left, met an ex-investigator again. We finally got a hold of her and went to go see her and now she has a baptismal date as well. She loves the Book of Mormon and the church. She has a sister who is a member in Albania, and she is from Macedonia (COOL!  AM I RIGHT!?) She is ex-military and works as port portral so she is very intense, but she means what she says. And she loves this message. 

These are just a few of the miracles. Not to mention all the investigators we finally contacted from the Poggiorfranco Sorelle. Including a new investigator who has a baptismal date for 4th of January, and many more. I know we still have a lot of work to do with these people, but Bari is exploding! I know that God is doing a great work here among these people! And it humbles me. But I am so excited for all of them. I love you all and I wish you a happy early Thanksgiving.

Sorella Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment