Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Letter #10 and Pictures from Bari, Italy

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope that you are all doing well. This past week we have seen so many miracles and we have been working a lot with our members. We also have a lot of ideas in the works. Sorella Mikesell has a lot of really good ideas. 

This past week the YW in both Bari Libertà and Bari Poggiofranco wards planned a Halloween Party. There was a great turn out. Over 150 People came, 50-60 of these were children. Members invited tons of friends and a lot of inactives and English course students came. I will attach some fotos (those that I have).

This is the horde of kids at the party - and more came later!
Sorella Petroni with her Frankenstein cake that was delicious!!! It was a carrot cake but it tasted like pumpkin with chocolate chips inside!! Sorella Mikesell is in the background with her cute home-made witch hat (we both made witch hats).
Me with Elisabetta and her daughter Chiara (a.ka. Minnie Mouse)
Everyone had a lot of fun and they got to learn more about our church and they got to meet the missionaries. One of our English Course students, Marina, that has showed a lot of interest in our message came to the party. One English course we were talking about health and vocabulary regarding health in English. For our spiritual thought we explained the Word of Wisdom, God's law of health for us. Afterwards she came up to us, and thanked us for the message and that we always share spiritual thoughts. We asked her if she would like to meet with us and she said yes!!! We had a not had an opportunity to meet with her. But she came to the Halloween Party and loved it. We later called her and invited her to come to church on Sunday. She came!!! And she stayed for Gospel Principles and most of Sacrament meeting. She is amazing!!

Another miracle is a less-active family. They have always come to activities and now they come to English course and the wife always brings friends. They just do not come to church or spiritual activities. When we asked her why, she said that she did not want to be a hypocrite. She has a few commandments that she and her family do not keep but she does not want to change. But their family is great and she is a great member missionary. Our ward council has been focusing on this family for a long time. And recently many miracles have happened which has started to help  them realize that they need to  have the gospel more in their lives. Their daughter is 7 years old and they have not been sealed in the temple- We keep praying for them. But they accepted to come to our ward FHE tonight- The activity is called "Ricordi?" We asked a few specific members to share their conversion stories and it will be like a little testimony meeting all together. And then Vescovo will have a closing thought on service and 'acting now.'
 
Vescovo Valentini asked her to share her conversion story and they are bringing their usual group of friends. Also, tonight the wife has asked for a priesthood blessing of comfort and healing because of the trials she is facing right now. God is truly moving in the lives of this family right now.

These are just a few of the amazing experiences we have had this past week and this week we will have even more. I know that there are many people here in Bari who are waiting to hear the gospel. All we have to do is be be open to the spirit and be willing to do God's will.  

I love you all so much. I feel blessed to have you in my life. 
This week I read some great verses in 2 Corinthians 6:3-10. I invite you all to read them. When I read them I thought about the strength we have as disciples of Christ. People notice the light we have and we must live worthy of this discipleship. And when people sometimes spread rumors about us and about the Church of God we do not need to worry if we are truly following Him and if our hearts are in the right place. Because in the end all that matters is what God thinks of us not what others think. This was my thought this week.

I love you guys,

Sorella Rose Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment