Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Monday, October 28, 2013

Letter #9 and Pictures from Bari, Italy

Dear Parents and family and friends,

I know I am sending this email to all, but at the beginning I have an EMERGENCY! (Don't worry I am not bleeding nor will I die).

Do you remember how last week I mentioned our cockroach infestation? Well, on Thursday Fratello Pastano came and sprayed some heavy duty poison in the apartment. That selfsame day we left, Sorella Mikesell for Foggia and me for Rome. We returned, and by then I had forgotten how horrible our apartment was. Well, we arrived Saturday afternoon and found many dead bugs and I was HAPPY.
Dead cockroaches
I then decided to clean under the kitchen sink, just in case I found more dead ones. Well...I found a lot of ALIVE ones. THEY DIDN'T DIE!! But we found where they were coming from!! :) They are all in, under, behind our cabinet unit in the kitchen where our sink and oven are connected.

Molded cabinet unit
Hole in the door to our balcony that they come in
Close-up of a cockroach

They also have crawled and pooped over all our dishes in the dish drying rack above the sink! So I sprayed under the sink and the BIG MAMA'S CAME OUT (literally, one was pregnant). WE IMMEDIATELY called Fratello Pastano again and explained that though he had sprayed everything in the house, he had missed the 3 feet where they were living. He wanted to come proprio the next day but we did not have time so he came early this morning. 

We pulled out the cabinet that was only being held to the wall by a thin strip of moldy caulk. And there were SO MANY BUGS. He sprayed all of the kitchen down (EVEN HE was grossed out) We dismantled the WHOLE KITCHEN and threw away a lot of food. 

Here is the emergency, we have to leave the kitchen all dismantled and in upheaval for 2-3 days and we cannot cook in it.
Sink lined in cockroach poop
Kitchen is a disaster area

Long story short, I need more money. I know you just sent me money but that disappeared fast with train tickets. I might still have some in USAA but I have no way to check my account balance. I have no money and we have to eat out for a few days. Even 10-15 euro will be fine. And the sooner you put it in the better (aka this afternoon).

Now if it is not possible for you guys, that is okay because we have canned corn and such and I can rough it out. BUT it would be nice to be able to eat hot food.
 
Now after all the dramatics to the more serious stuff...

When is Thanksgiving? because I have no idea :) I just want to know for curiosity sake. Me and Sorella Mikesell are going to make a nice big dinner the preparation day closest to Thanksgiving. 

Mom, I also would like some tips on condimenting a chicken, I have done it before but I do not remember all of what spices to use and the temperature, etc.

I don't feel like I am very useful as an STL (Sister Training Leader) but I am doing my best. Before I came to Capi conference, I made a goal to talk to at least someone while I was on all of the trains etc. I tried to keep this goal in mind and in my prayers. I had many opportunities to talk with people but one in particular stood out. On the way home to Bari. I was separated from the other 3 missionaries and seated across from 2 people who did not know each other. I do not remember how but a question came up about "who I was?" and "Why I was there?" I explained about the mission and from there a beautiful conversation started that lasted 3 hours. They asked many questions and I had the opportunity to share the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation. They listened so well. One of them accepted a Book of Mormon and the other a Restoration Pamphlet. The conversation just flowed so smoothly.

It was only after this experience that I realized that God allowed me to be His instrument because I was open to the spirit and had a desire. I feel like these are two of the most important things in missionary work.

I love being here in Bari. There is so much potential and I feel blessed for the opportunity I have had to see people's lives change and watch them come unto Christ. 

As my last letter ended on a more spiritual note I want to continue that way. That train experience was wonderful. I have had many amazing moments in my mission but that one on the train was one of the best. 

This Sunday, during sacrament meeting in the Bari Libertà ward. I was sitting there and I was astounded by the miracles I was looking at. I was watching some of our African members pass the sacrament (when I first got there our ward did not know how to involve these wonderful people). Those who were passing the sacrament, I remember when they first started meeting with the Anziani. I was sitting next to Giovanni, who I was blessed to teach a little and was baptized in January. I saw Sorella De Vanna sitting in Sacrament meeting and another inactive who we had just contacted this week, Sorella Rita D'amore. I saw how much closer these members were. I Realized I was looking at miracles. 

I was looking at the efforts of so many missionaries that served before me, or with me, I feel blessed that out of all of those missionaries, God let me see the results of their work. As I sat in that meeting, I wanted to stand up and shout glory to MY God for His merciful hand and the lives He has molded. I do not know why I am lucky enough that I get to see these people change over a long space of time but I thank Him for this gift. 

I love Bari!!! And I never want to leave even if there are cockroaches in our apartment! :) I praise God for all that He has done for me and for the opportunity I have to be a missionary.

I love you all so much!!

Sorella Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment