Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Letter #5 and Pictures from Bari, Italy

Dear family and friends,
The seasons have started to change and now it is cooler and I have a cold :) So this email will be shorter. (Don't worry!! I am fine I just have to let it run its course :)

Mom
1) Grazia Bellomo's Son is named Nicola.
2) I have not seen a Francesco Bellomo
3) Enza Bellomo never was married. She has worked for Grazia and Raffaele Bellomo for 50 years. (About) So maybe you saw her around at church when you were here. But she was not baptized till '73 I think.
4) All is set for skype this Friday with the Bellomo's and I will give them your phone number :)
This week has been great. We had Stake Conference and Zone Conference right after each other and then this weekend will be General Conference. I am so excited!!
During zone conference Sorella Mitsvotai and I took Sorella Waddoups to visit to members here in Bari. This is Sorella Waddoups, me, and Sorella Panza
Us at zone conference. All the Sorelle di Bari and Taranto Zones

At our Stake Conference, Anziano Leimer, a member of the Area Seventy, came and spoke to us. He challenged all the members to raise our youth. We have to prepare them, and start it at home!! He then also talked about General Conference. He challenged us to go with a question, and listen to what our leaders say. He also said to learn from their example and lives. He shared a story about Thomas S. Monson. He said that as he was waiting at temple square, one of the senior missionaries came and talked with him. The conversation led to this missionary sharing this story with him.
This missionary's wife was very sick and in the hospital. His 3 grandsons were waiting in the hospital room visiting her, when a tall shadow filled the door. It was President Monson. He explained that he was uninvited and unexpected but asked is he could come in. He sat and talked with this woman for  an hour. Gave her a blessing, and left. Anziano Leimer asked, "What does an hour of the prophet's time do" He shared how this woman's story ended. She was fine. Lived a happy 2 more years and died peacefully at home. But then he said, Think of the difference 1 hour had on those 3 grandsons. How were they affected? They watched the prophet come and take an hour to come an sit with their grandmother. They later served missions and brought the gospel to others. "What is an hour with the prophet in a generation!" That one hour changed hundreds of lives. Anziano Leimer then explained. We must learn from our leader's examples. We do not have to be the prophet to go and spend that hour. To go and visit others, smile at the people on the street. It is part of our baptismal covenant to do this.
He said, "There is a reason why God's prophet in these days is a bishop at heart. And always will be. What do you think God is trying to teach us?"
I wanted to recount these parts of Anziano Leimer's address so that you will be as excited for General Conference as I am. Be prepared to go hear their words and then be "Doers of the Word" I know that this church, The Church of Jesus Christ, is led by a living prophet of the Living GOD. The priesthood of God has been restored and we all can be blessed and have been blessed by this power.
I love you all so much,
Love Sorella Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment