Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Letter #6 from Bari, Italy

Dear Family and friends,

I just learned today that they are changing our Preparation day. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!! But our p-day will now be MONDAY. It is really weird for me. This will be starting October 14th, So in 5 days you get a new email from me. I totally support this decision but I must admit I am confused and would like to know the why. "BUO" (shoulder shrug)

This week has been wonderful especially because this weekend was General Conference. Best experience of my life!! I have always loved General Conference. I have great parents and they did a great job with a us Preston kids. They always made Conference a spiritual experience. Every 6 months we would dress up in our Sunday clothes and go to the church building for a special Saturday and Sunday broadcast. The prophet and the 12 apostles and other leaders of the church would speak on various topics a total of about 10 hours. 

Even though we could have watched it on the internet in recent years (because of technology advances) we always went to the church. To as many hours as possible. I knew it was something special. For a little kid it would have been more fun to sit in the corner playing tictactoe with my friends. (Over the years I did do this every now and then :) ) But my parents set the example - they always payed full attention. And I would feel stupid if I didn't. Even if the most attention I could do was try to listen and color. 

When I was little I remember looking over at my mom and she would be taking very intense notes. Every now and then I would look up and see her in tears because of the prophetic words being spoken. This made me want to take notes. So started from age 8 (maybe even younger) I would go and take notes. I would write down the names of the speakers and try to write down what they said word for word. It was not long before I realized this was impossible. 

Now my notes make more sense and are more legible than an eight year old's but I LOVE general conference. 

As a missionary general conference continues to be wonderful. It has very real application. During conference I usually hear things that I want to share with people. Family or investigators. I hear a talk and I think, "Fabrizia needs to hear this" etc-

Every conference I feel like there are themes. I feel like the themes for this conference were:

1) Helping those who are no longer active in the church come back. I loved President Henry B. Eyering's talk. I was crying so hard.

To quote President Eyering

"I have prayed with faith that someone I loved would seek and feel the power of the Atonement. I have prayed with faith that human angels would come to their aid, and they came.

God has devised means to save each of His children. For many, that involves being placed with a brother or a sister or a grandparent who loves them no matter what they do...

There is a wonderful lesson for us all. The way for loving parents and grandparents and all of God’s servants will not be easy in a decaying world. We cannot force God’s children to choose the way to happiness. God cannot do that because of the agency He has given us.

Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son love all of God’s children no matter what they choose to do or what they become. The Savior paid the price of all sins, no matter how heinous. Even though there must be justice, the opportunity for mercy is extended which will not rob justice.
Alma expressed that hope to his son Corianton in these words: “Therefore, according to justice, the plan of redemption could not be brought about, only on conditions of repentance of men in this probationary state, yea, this preparatory state; for except it were for these conditions, mercy could not take effect except it should destroy the work of justice. Now the work of justice could not be destroyed; if so, God would cease to be God.”3

My message then to my grandchildren, and to all of us trying to forge eternal families, is that there is joy guaranteed for the faithful. From before the world was, a loving Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son loved and worked with those who They knew would wander. God will love them forever."

This talk was so comforting - God will love us and our loved ones forever. So should we!!

The second theme I noticed was Endure to the end. No matter what the world says, do what is right!!!

There were many themes. What themes stood out to you all?

I also really like the talk by President Monson in the Relief Society Broadcast. My favorite thing he said was:

"There will be times when you will walk a path strewn with thorns and marked by struggle. There may be times when you feel detached—even isolated—from the Giver of every good gift. You worry that you walk alone. Fear replaces faith. When you find yourself in such circumstances, I plead with you to remember prayer. I cherish the words of the poet:

I know not by what methods rare,
But this I know, God answers prayer.
I know that He has given His Word,
Which tells me prayer is always heard,
And will be answered, soon or late.
And so I pray and calmly wait.
I know not if the blessing sought
Will come in just the way I thought;
But leave my prayers with Him alone,
Whose will is wiser than my own,
Assured that He will grant my quest,
Or send some answer far more blest.6

"My dear sisters [and brothers], your Heavenly Father loves you—each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. It is not changed by your talents and abilities. It is simply there. It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there."

This talk really comforted me. I know that GOD's love is always there. Especially when we assume it isn't. I love you all so much . I love being a missionary. I love my Savior "For the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation" (2Nephi 22:2) It comforts me that my Savior's love is always there and I know it is always there for all of you! 

Love you lots
Sorella Preston

P.s. Expect a Lot of photos next week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment