Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Letter #7 from Bari, Italy

Dear family and friends,

I feel like recently on all my emails I title them "Crazy News" because crazy stuff is happening here in Italy.

We got our transfer calls this Saturday and Sorella Mikesell and I are staying here in Bari. That is not the crazy news... the crazy news is that Sorella Ghio and Sorella Ruppe are both leaving and they are not being replaced. They are being pulled out!! This means that Sorella Mikesell and I are the Sorella For BOTH WARDS. Those of you who have served missions will understand how crazy this is.

We will be like missionaries in America that are over 2-3 wards. Our area will cover (for those of you who know St. Louis) from outside St. Charles, through St. Louis and surrounding areas, all the way to Springfield, Illinois. I would say we could drive from one end to the other in 3-4 hours. Now there are a lot less members than there are in those wards and branches in St. Louis. But I hope you can picture the size of our area. In fact, we chose to be the Sorelle to both wards because the Poggiofranco Sorelle have many female contacts and female less actives they are teaching and helping. We did not want these people to be lost so we are going to try and help.
Both wards are meeting now in our building so we will go to church from 9-12 and then from 16-19 pm. I am excited! 

Last night we went to the Poggiofranco ward and they had a baby blessing. Mom and Dad, do you remember Femy Bellomo, Grazia Bellomo's daughter? Well she remembers you and sends her greetings. Her grandson was blessed last night. It was so beautiful. Most of Grazia Bellomo's family is inactive and last night the chapel was filled with family and friends that have not been in church for years!! I almost cried to see how this little baby boy was able to unite and these people again and bring them to church. There was a beautiful spirit and I know that they felt it! I wish you all could have been there.
Baby blessing from Left to right: Femy Bellomo, Sorella Maria Scarola, Franco Scarola (Grandpa del bimbo), Elli (Femy's daughter), baby Francesco, Grazia Bellomo  

I love Bari: I have been learning how to make Barese pasta, orecchiette from scratch, pasta al forno, and Bietole, and foccacia, and pizza, and panzerotti. You all should be VERY EXCITED. Because I am going to cook such good food for you, if I can find the goods in America. I think I will be able to (thank you Costco) or at least very close!! YAY
Me and Sorella Gallone making Foccacia 
Me and Sorella Mikesell making Orecchiette with Sorella Devanna
I am going to try to attach some fotos. I love you all so much and I am hope that you are all doing well.

Love, 
Sorella Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment