Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Letter #11 from Bari, Italy

Wow!!! It was great to see all of you on Christmas. And I can't believe that your Christmas presents all arrived on time!! James I am sooo sorry your tie is stained, don't worry there will be more in the next year and a half :) I am also sorry if the candy was stale, but it is the thought that counts. Mom and Dad I opened your package Christmas morning, it was wonderful. I am enjoying the candy so much and I love the earrings :) They are so beautiful and very me!! Dad they still throw stuff out the window on New Year's Eve, but they had eveything cleaned up by when we left the house 6 pm Jan 1st.



After I called you we ate the best panzerotti I have had in Bari!!! Then we got home at about 10:45pm. Next morning I slept in for a whole hour except my body woke up at 6:30 without an alarm clock. Proof that I am a missionary :) We opened presents and it was so much fun. I got a scarf, your wonderful present, a collection of quotes from Sorella Comollo and honey with lemon, (THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER EATEN). We found it at the open market and it is very hard to find, so I bought 2 jars. Sorella Comollo bought one for me for "Christmas." Afterwards we got ready for the day and I studied the life of Christ. I had a selection of readings and then I wanted to end at the Christmas story, but I ran out of time so I just read those selections. We then went back to the Diciolla's for Christmas day. It was so much fun! But they had the TV on the whole time during the lunch and we could not have good conversation. Luckily, I was facing away from it so I was not distracted. We had tons of really good food and I ate quail!! I ate a QUAIL! I felt so refined! Sorella Comollo and the Anziani were able to talk with their families and it was so much fun. We got out at 5pm and took the Anziani home. The Diciolla got us a little Christmas tree ornament to remember them by, soo cute!!!:) After we took the Anziani home we ran and got all our food, candy, blankets, and went to the church to watch one of our Christmas movies. We watched Brave and then on the 26th Tangled. Both were in Italian but since I had seen them both it was easy to understand, and a lot of fun to watch.

Last Preparation day we went to Matera. It was gorgeous. I talked about it during the call but I will attach the photos later.
una citta = a city

-Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment