Serving An 18 Month LDS Mission

In the LDS church, when a girl turns 21 she has the opportunity to choose to serve an 18 month, self-funded mission. I have wanted to go on a mission since I was a little girl. My parents both served a mission in Rome in the 1970's. In 2001-2002, my sister Letty served as a missionary in Hong Kong and my brother Algot in the Philippines. As soon as I turned 21 I submitted my papers. The Prophet and 12 Apostles determine through inspiration which of the more than 300 missions worldwide each missionary will be assigned. I was overjoyed when I opened my mission call and discovered that I was called to Rome, Italy! I feel immensely blessed and I feel that God has been preparing me to serve the Italian people. Each week, while I am on my mission, I will send my sister Letty an email and pictures to post on the blog. I won't see this blog till I come home, so I will be unable to directly respond to your comments until then. However, the sidebar will always have a current street address for me, and I promise I will respond to your letters! If you would rather write via email, just email your letter to my sister and she will print it out and send it me with her weekly snail mail!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Letter #14 from Bari, Italy

Hello Everyone,
It took me a while to remember which week this is. It is hard to remember sometimes :) But I love it here and it is a good sign that I do not have any time recognition :)

Mom, I forgot to tell you. We did not do something for Befana. But Sorella Rosato prepared us Befana socks and we came home to beautiful socks filled with candy on our pillows. Also I asked and sadly, Sorella Fuller and I are not related. Her grandfather's name is Robert.

This week we have been focusing on member visits and lessons when we are out finding. Sorella Fuller rode the bus for the first time on the mission! I loved being part of that experience.
I discovered that the bag we bought for the mission, The little black one, is a magical bag. I wanted to try and fit my full-sized Bible and Book of Mormon in it and I did not know how to go about it. I cleaned the whole purse out and then I put the big books in and all the other things back in and everything fit perfectly!! It was amazing! It was so beautiful, I loved it . I cannot believe how magical my bag is. It is a veritable Mary Poppins bag with tons of little pockets inside.

More news, I fixed my boots this week. I took them to an investigator of the PF Sorelle and he took them to his friend who is a shoemaker. They put a new sole on and shined them and they looked like new boots for only 15€. I was ecstatic I also received the package with all the Christmas cards from the ward!!! They were all so sweet and thoughtful! I loved them. Please thank everyone for me. Also Lily Franck asked to be penpals but I could not read her address so could you email me her address :)


This week has been hard for many reasons. I have come find the truth in the fact that God shows us our weaknesses so that we can learn to trust in Him and He can make us stronger. This week I have seen many weaknesses. Or Satan has found many blindspots and chinks in my armor that I did not know I had. As I have been struggling this week Sorella Fuller has been an angel. I know that God knows us and sees what will happen and how to help us so he puts people in our lives at specific times and seasons to help us. Sorella Fuller is that for me. God knew I needed her as a companion, especially now. She has gone through many of the same insecurities I am feeling and is able to share her experiences and tried to help.


In these days I have been spending much time on my knees, talking with my Father. Pleading for His help and strength to help me conquer my thoughts and insecurities. But in these days I have been more secured that God is there and listening! During these prayers I could feel Him there, I could feel His love and His peace!! And with that force I can push forward. I know that we fall so that we can learn to RELY on God!!


As I was studying the Book of Mormon today, I am in 1 Nephi 16. Lehi found the Liahona and they are being guidied in the wilderness. Today I noticed 16:16 where the Liahona guided them to the most fertile parts of the wilderness. I realized that is us!! WE are in the wilderness/world and there is darkness and there is danger to starve spiritually. But if we use our Liahona's of the scriptures, the living prophets and apostles, and the Holy Ghost we can be led to the fertile parts. We can find food, shelter, and peace for our families in this world. This is what I want for all of you. I know in my life and our family, I have seen us guided to the "fertile parts" even if it seemed we had to walk 2 weeks to get there. Thank you for teaching me by your example to turn to God and trust in Him and to use our Liahonas.

I am going to close this letter with lots of love and try to attach some pictures.Love you all!!
Sorella Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment